steam scam e-mail

Cujo

just got this e-mail in my hotmail. i've never had one like it. notice the return address is actually the supposed author so it looks very legit.

i wonder how he got my steam contact e-mail. are they commonly accessible?

wowbsvy5.jpg

my favourite line is "our automated system will automatically receive your info". LOL

people pull emails from the cal site.. forums, etc..

i like to respond with false info.. atleast it wastes a little bit of there time..

lol, never thought of that. i'd just be afraid of getting their attention as this e-mail is relatively spam free and i'd like to keep it that way.

Nice! I definitely don't see any problems with this email, it's obviously not a phishing attempt for several reasons:

1. Steam has migrated all of their company email addresses to Gmail, cuz hey, who needs that "steampowered.com" domain anyway?

2. The hackers are courteous enough to wait until 1/31/08 before stealing everyone's account information. I'd hate to live in a world where hackers didn't wait the obligatory 2 weeks before using information they stole.

3. The CEO of Steam Powered often sends out bulk emails. He likes to stay connected to the little guys.

4. The email came from Main Branch. If it had come from Side Branch, Alternate Branch, or Behind the Dumpster Branch, that might be trouble. Thank goodness for Main Branch.

5. The company luckily has everyone's account information in "another system". It's too bad they're "unable to decrypt it". Someone probably just lost the decryption key - no biggie.

I can't wait until I get one of these emails so I can send in account information.