Jumping ship...

Clueless

Well, as some of you know, I live in New Orleans so we are getting the hell out due to Hurricane Gustav. They are predicting this to possibly be the "storm of all storms" and they have called a mandatory evacuation of the entire greater New Orleans area. Just to give an example...they said Katrina had a footprint of roughly 400 miles....well this one already has a footprint of about 900, and is expected to be a cat 5 very soon, and get stronger. Some are predicting very little to be left of this area...shame if that happens, alot of history here. But we are gonna just pick up the important stuff and move up north and see what happens.

Our wedding was last night and went off without a hitch...honeymoon canceled for obvious reasons, but it was a beautiful event, everyone had a great time, and my family and friends were able to come in and get out in time, so all went well...Gustav can't take THAT from us!

I will post up as often as I can and fill you all in.

Wish us luck!!

Congratz! Hope you find a nice place to live up north.. you might consider going west... oregon/washington/cali.... hardly anything happens there and the climate is perfect..

Hope Gustav aint worse the Katrina .... the US dosent need another problem like that.

Congratz! Hope you find a nice place to live up north.. you might consider going west... oregon/washington/cali.... hardly anything happens there and the climate is perfect..

Hope Gustav aint worse the Katrina .... the US dosent need another problem like that.

Yeah California, nothing never happens there like natural disasters. I haven't read about an earthquake, mudslide or wildfire in...oh wait.

Yeah California, nothing never happens there like natural disasters. I haven't read about an earthquake, mudslide or wildfire in...oh wait.

Oh please. At least we don't have a natural disaster season like those in the tornado belt or hurricane alley heh :). Sure a big earthquake could happen at anytime. But it probably wont heh :). Besides 99.99 percent of earthquakes are more fun than anything else. Could you say the same thing if you were in a tornado or hurricane?

Shaftiel

P.S Congrats Clue! Well done! I remember meeting your gf, now wife, at FF 07 and was very impressed. You are a lucky man my friend :)

Edited by shaftiel

Thanks for the well wishes all. We are currently in Lake Charles Louisianna at her brothers house, the storm will still throw down some rain and heavy wind, but we think...at least by current projections, that we can weather the storm here...but we are prepared to keep moving if needed.

So far so good on the storm strength, it has weakened due to some dry air in the gulf, so we are keeping fingers crossed that it doesnt bump back up...maybe we will actually have a home to back to! The storm surge when it reaches landfall is the scariest part....could be up to 25 feet...the levys cannot handle that, so we are hoping that it hits in best way possible as to allow the natural layout of the land to protect the important parts of the area, but there is alot of room for things to go bad, so we arent out of the water by any stretch. Then if the surge doesnt wipe things out, they are projecting 15 inches of rain in most areas...not good either, but we are safe and we have everything that isnt replaceable, and we have insurance, so things could be worse...many people wont be as fortunate....I feel for them :(

I'll keep you all posted the best I can!

Clue, keep us updated on if you have to keep moving north. Also keep us updated on anyone you know who might need places to stay up north. Maybe we can help or find help.

Oh please. At least we don't have a natural disaster season like those in the tornado belt or hurricane alley heh :). Sure a big earthquake could happen at anytime. But it probably wont heh :). Besides 99.99 percent of earthquakes are more fun than anything else. Could you say the same thing if you were in a tornado or hurricane?

Preacher and I live near St. Louis. I've lived here my entire life. We once had an earthquake scare in the early 90's because our fault line was supposed to explode and cause the end of the world...nothing happened. I was in a tornado once when I went to Western Missouri for summer camp. Other than that, I'd say St. Louis is one of the best places in the world to live as far as natural disasters go. Heck, we aren't even very high on the list of places to attack in case of war (although Scott Airforce Base does make us a target if one far down the list).

Just an update...we are still in Lake Charles which is at the far southeast corner of the state. We are staying with her brother, along with her parents and nieces that came with us. The storm only brought some moderate rain and wind here...power was out for about 8 hours, we had generators, no big deal. As far as home goes, it should be in pretty good shape, from what we read, see on tv, and hear from people that stayed, our area did not take much damage. We are just thankful that the storm weakened that much instead of strengthening after if left Cuba...coulda been a different scene. Some areas did take some pretty heavy damage and there over a million homes and businesses without power throughout the state, dunno yet if ours is one of them. Hopefully they will let us come back tomorrow, we were hoping for today, but that isnt happening.

Thanks for the thoughts!

Earthquakes? your on the fault line in Cali.. of course you get them... but they aren't dangerous.. like shaftiel said... there fun never dangerous. Mud slides? lol... when do those happen? not very often... and it looks like another hurricane is on the way and has already reached a cat 4 (hurricane IKE). Wildfires happen in Oregon all the time... but i live near the city... all the wildfires happen EAST.

The safest place to live is here... and it has the best weather to.

Earthquakes? your on the fault line in Cali.. of course you get them... but they aren't dangerous.. like shaftiel said... there fun never dangerous. Mud slides? lol... when do those happen? not very often... and it looks like another hurricane is on the way and has already reached a cat 4 (hurricane IKE). Wildfires happen in Oregon all the time... but i live near the city... all the wildfires happen EAST.

The safest place to live is here... and it has the best weather to.

lol sarcasm