Large Hadron Collider

Bewildered

I don't remember anyone posting about this. The world's largest particle accelerator is going to be fired up tomorrow, and apparently there was some controversy about the risks of it destroying the world. Reminds me of the Black Mesa Research Facility from the half-life series.

:)

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2008/08/t...n_collider.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Large_hadron_collider

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24556999/?GT1=43001

Will the Large Hadron Collider destroy the world, or help the world?

But if the feedback so far is any guide, the real headline-grabber is the claim that the world's most powerful particle-smasher could create microscopic black holes that some fear would gobble up the planet.

I've heard about this a few months ago from my girlfriend's dad, but it wasn't until today that I saw an article on MSN about it.\

What are your opinions?

Load of crap. Even if it did create micro black holes, they would evaporate nearly instantaneously.

Shaftiel

I always wondered what Shaft did... now I know, he works for CERN.

Right away, I want to say its completely ridiculous, but I'm not a physicist.

The way I see it though, is you could just be sitting, minding your own business, then you're dead in an instant from a nuclear blast.

Accidents in science have killed people before, so I'm staying open-minded enough so that no one can say "I told you so!" when I'm compressed into a tiny particle not even remotely comparable to a grain of sand. But I doubt it will happen.

Edited by Saris

ok ok .....I thought this was interesting so I decided to tell ya all........

I am currently reading Angels and Demons... a book written by the same guy that did The DaVinci Code in ...

2 0 0 0 (8 years ago)..

Its about a Hadron Collider at CERN that is used by their top physicist guy to create tiny bits of matter and ANTI matter, show the spaces in the universe, explain black holes, etc etc. The implications of this are huge....yadda yadda..

But then the Illuminati steal a large hunk of the antimatter ( that has a 100% energy yield..IE a few grams is like Nuclear bomb level) and they hide it under the Vatican. They decide to once and for all prove that science is the one true religion, make their grand re-appearance, destroy the church as they have always vowed....etc etc.

Cool book so far...

But then, I realized it was written EIGHT years ago, and today you guys are posting about a Hadron collider (I never heard of until the book), at CERN (never heard of) thats gonna be fired soon and all these crazy and dangerous implications...

And I was all like.... Woah!

And I told my wife and she was all like ... Woah!

And I laughed about it in the car with my dad and sister today and they were all like .... Woah!

So I figured Id post up and tell you guys....

Woah!

So, where's the GC bunker? I told you guys we should have all pitched in on that abandoned missile silo...

I sent in my $20, but I'm guessing it didn't go to the "GC Bunker Fund".

That missle silo was a once in a lifetime opportunity, and we let it slip through our fingers. :(