GC needs games!

Flitterkill

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is tough, finding a game a lot of people have and can play regularly. Almost all games with dedicated servers are FPS games, and how many FPS games can a person be into at a single time?

We could do weekly game nights. A night where we get together and play a single game we know we have. I know people out there still have Flatout, TF2, CoD, UT, and there's probably a bunch of other games out there people have we don't know about. We could announce them ahead of time so people who have the game have time to install it and get ready. It will also only be for one night so we don't need to support a whole server which could possible die in a matter of months or even days and it would be announced ahead of time so we could get an idea of how many will show up.

i'll ask it a different way, or ask a different question:

are there games that you're regularly playing outside of .gc that we can support, either directly (with a server) or indirectly (with some other service)? i know some people play a lot of games a little. we're looking to hear from people that play a primary game a lot. console, pc, whatever.

If you could get your hands on a private WoW server you would be laughing all the way to the bank.

i don't even know where to start looking - can you point me in the right direction? we've got the resources to pull this off, just nobody on the board is openly a WoW player...

(and you WoW players keep to yourselves)

Private WoW servers are permitted in Canada but not in the U.S..

I personally like playing my PS3. If there are some in the community that are playing PS3 games online I would like to frag or race with them. One thing that is nice about the consoles is that there is no need for purchasing a server. However the community aspect of it (clans, guilds and such) are huge. It just depends on what game most gcers like to play. And if that game is popular within this coalition of gamers..I would buy it just for that reason alone.

I mainly play TF2 these days.... However, Left 4 Dead is coming out next month and I would look into a server for that. I don't know if I personally will be able to run the game, but it's the "next big thing" from Valve.

Private WoW servers are permitted in Canada but not in the U.S..

I personally like playing my PS3. If there are some in the community that are playing PS3 games online I would like to frag or race with them. One thing that is nice about the consoles is that there is no need for purchasing a server. However the community aspect of it (clans, guilds and such) are huge. It just depends on what game most gcers like to play. And if that game is popular within this coalition of gamers..I would buy it just for that reason alone.

finally we have the upper hand!

You have any links to that Shazz? All I'm getting in my search are shady sites that offer you to come play

on they're private servers, and I'm thinking it's somehow cheaper to just pay blizz the monthly charge lol.

i sent him a pm asking him the same thing. if you, shazz, and shep (shep, where are you??) can find anything out about this, we'll make it happen. we can rent hosted servers in canada, but we need the help of seasoned WoW players to help us never-played-wow folks make sense of the crazy WoW vocabulary.

can i squeeze WoW in one more time?

[utube]Jln8RBjZFiw[/utube]

not so funny wow, is it.

Hmmm... maybe GC needs to start a bidness. Where's Cujo when we need him?

Srsly though, if it's cost effective we'll take a hard look. Do private servers really offer that much of a performance difference?

Srsly though, if it's cost effective we'll take a hard look. Do private servers really offer that much of a performance difference?
i don't think that's the point. here's me showing how little i know about wow: i think you have to pay a monthly subscription to play on the public (blizzard?) servers. a private server is an alternative to that, but i'm assuming most private servers charge something to access.

Can someone explain the concept of a private WoW server to me? Wouldn't the server population be quite limited, making raids/pvp difficult?

exactly, I think a private wow server would be lame... Why not all just join a server and start a .gc guild there.

folks, at this point we're just gathering ideas. please save the "i don't think this would work because..." posts for another thread. if you have a game to contribute, please post. gonna trim these other posts so we can keep this easy to follow.

thanks!

The problem with a private World of Warcraft server, or any private MMORPG server is that the game is emulated and generally very buggy. I played the WoW emulator about 2 years ago and almost nothing worked right. The only emulated MMORPG I have played that has almost perfect emulation is Ultima Online because it's been out for over 10 years and they have been emulating it since it was released.

Edit: Oops, is this a "I don't think this would work because..." post?

Edited by VooDooPC

Can someone explain the concept of a private WoW server to me? Wouldn't the server population be quite limited, making raids/pvp difficult?

exactly, I think a private wow server would be lame... Why not all just join a server and start a .gc guild there.

there is alot of players on a pve realm already.baelgun,ally,pve and they merged with crisp.i think cuz there wasn't enough gc players on to keep the guild

active for like 25 man instances?

my son and i are going to start shadowpriests there with refer a friend.

Hm. Anyone played the new Crysis warhead online yet?

What else is out there....any RTS's?

What other games are big for competition right now? Meaning, what games are hot in CAL right now (for example)?

I miss Quake3 CTF....any decent ctf games out there?

there is alot of players on a pve realm already.baelgun,ally,pve and they merged with crisp.i think cuz there wasn't enough gc players on to keep the guild

medic translator!

medic translator!

it's wow language,lol.