M2's Intel Conroe Build

akaM2

Well I recently had a post about my rig I ordered but there were some problems with the shipping of the mobo/proccessor and it gave me time to rethink everything. I am now going to go with a Intel. I came into some extra money and decided to go all out and get top of the line stuff, not extreme top of the line, but I want to be ahead of the curve so to speak.

Here is where I am at right now.

Case: Thermaltake Armor Jr

I went with this case due to knowing they are nice cases (The regular Armor's) due to cujo and Laz having them but I wanted something a bit smaller but still bigger than a shuttle.

Power Supply: Thermaltake 750w Toughpower

I will be going with this due to cujo's suggestion, you can always bring this PS to another build if needed, and your never not going to have enough power.

This is one of the parts I am not sure of due to it being 750w and expensive, I dont know if it would be better to go with a 600w enermax or 550w. I am only running 1 graphics card but I dont know what I will be expanding to.

Motherboard: ASUS P5B Deluxe

This is also a part I dont know for sure if I will be ordering this due to the new intel boards are coming out all the time but I looked at the benchmarksHere and thought this showed being the best in close to everything.

Heatsink: Thermaltake Big Typhoon

Well I heard its the best heatsink, so why not.

Hard Drive: 74GB HD Raptor 10,000 rpm

This is another part I dont really know about. I have the oportunity to get the 36gb version for only 80 bucks or so from someone I know but I really want to run my operating system plus any programs on the raptor and have a second media 300gb drive put in later. I just dont want to run out of room with a 36gb version.

Proccessor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.40GHz / 4MB Cache

Im going with this one over the 6400 is mainly because it has double the amount of cache. I may not notice a huge diffence right now, but I am sure in the next year I would be wishing i got this one over the 6400.

Video Card: eVga 7900GT KO 256mb

I got this because this video card rocks, I already bought it, sitting right next to me.

Memory: Patriot Dual Channel 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 800

I also bought this ram on a recomendation from a friend of mine. It isnt opened so it could be returned if you guys think it wouldnt be the best for my mobo. But I dont wanna spend much more right now on the memory.

So all in all I like the build right now, have half of it need the other half. Please give me suggestions on any of this, It would be appreciated.

I have that vid card, and I love it. That case is sweet, I didn't know they made a smaller version of it. Nice heatsink, 6 pipes makes a big differene.

Very nice setup, you should be very happy with it all. I've always been a fan of ASUS boards, they have always performed very well for me. Have fun with all that dude.

looks real nice.

There will be a lil actual work involved with the Typhoon, but nothing crazy.

Looks great!!!

Best advice on first build:

take your time

dont be afraid to walk away for a few

if youre stressin on some portion of it, do it tommorrow...never ever rush it.

hey m2 i have the enermax 600 and i am running two 7800gt oc nvidia graphic cards and no problems at all to date. it has the cooldown feature and everything, you might wanna check it out.

hey m2 i have the enermax 600 and i am running two 7800gt oc nvidia graphic cards and no problems at all to date. it has the cooldown feature and everything, you might wanna check it out.

Think I hear an echo in here..........

at minimum get the enermax 620w liberty. just remember what i said that you buy a psu and case less than any other parts. you should always spend a bit more on those so they'll last through multiple upgrades.

bigtyphoon won't be that much work as he's building from scratch so it's not like he has to pop the mobo out.

btw m2, pick up a tube of as5 (arctic silver 5) as it's better than the stock goup that comes with the bt.

Ok Processor, Power Supply and heatsink on its way.

Only thing left that isnt bought is the mobo, gonna go pick that up on monday.

I went with this heatsink instead of the typhoon

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16835118223

its been getting nice reviews with the core 2 duo's

Also cujo, I got the 750w power supply :) you would be so proud of me

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1097580128836

Save a couple bucks on the raptor

If you buy if from the store they have a coupon for the back to school sales. Heck shoot me an aim when you get on.

Just giving folks a heads up. I almost picked up one of these last night at my local best buy because of the price. Almost to the register when I saw it is only 8MB cache and not the normal 16MB cache. Instead I just ordered the 16MB at Zipzoomfly.com for a few dollars more.

received proccessor, raptor hd, psu and heatsink today.

t-minus 2-3 days till my mobo gets here then i will prolly build it sunday when i have off, or late fri night if i get too excited

a 36pack should do.

Or a 30 pack of the champagne of beers might be called for. I can't wait to see some bench marks and hear how it goes. I'd like to build almost the exact same system (maybe a different mobo) in a couple of months.