Leaving GC community

Preacher

While I have been both admin and player on your servers I find that your administration has been staffed with lackeys who do nothing but support bad practices that undermine decent people just trying to have fun under the guise of cleaning up the world. What it seems like to me is that the arena of fun and good humor have been stifled by a sense that one false move and you are gone. While my absence will not be a matter for major concern, maybe my voice will awaken some common sense in a few of the good people I know around here. My hope is that I find the friends I have made here in other venues because, while ZD is not exactly my closest friend, he is an example of a system of admining here that is lopsided. Had one of the other folks around here with more clout said the same stuff, they may have been asked to stop, may have gotten kicked or slaved, I doubt they would have been banned. I have personally heard Lunk ask people in a "non-joking manner" if they were dumb. I have heard other board members and admins say things like the Ts are in the special Olympics, dumb etc. I have personally said some of those same things and never once been reprimanded for it. ZD is not my reason for leaving, just the straw that broke the camel's back so to speak.

I leave with you a blessing/curse: May everything you do or say return to you seven fold in the spirit you did or said it. God bless you all and look for me in the VI forums/server.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, this is a sad day indeed. As cliche as it sounds, this place isn't going to be the same without you.

I think there are some bad things about this community too, but the good WAY outweigh the bad. I can totally understand where you're coming from though, since I was also a player, gc member, admin, and lead admin at one point; and also personally dealt with part of the ZD thing. However, I don't want to air any dirty laundry here (no pun intended), since that's not what this thread is about.

I hope you still check in periodically with the friends you met here, and may our paths cross again some day.

what is this ZD incident you speak of?

i'm curious :)

If you want to know please PM preacher or anyone else, let's keep this forum free of anything besides goodbyes to Preacher... after all the time he's put in helping this community...

Preach... while I can understand why you're going... I gotta say I'll miss you. I sadly was not able to make it to IA this year and hopefully I'll meet you at it next year if it works out again, but definitely good luck and god speed.

before our xfire, i was gonna say dont go we want you. But now I dont really care.

Yes ZD prolly did something that if anyone else did for the first time they would be unbanned. Is this ZD's first time, no. He has been banned via the forums and CSS many times. Hell there was a topic about ZD calling people with having downs and then he called someone else a person with downs and he got banned. Im really to intoxicated to make correct sentences but congrats you played the if he doesnt get unbanned im leaving card great. Talk to you later!

(edited)

Actually I never said that unbanning ZD, while the correct move, had any bearing on my leaving. There are a 100 reasons and 3 years worth of idiocy that play a part in it. Sorry if I made you angry M2, it was not my intent. Read through your banned forums and just look at the reasons for people being banned and tell me that it's not like kids acting up in church type of punishment rather than grown men (for the most part) getting the hammer dropped on them for having fun in a video game. I have no hard feelings, just a serious sense that I do not fit in here. Good luck and God bless

Edited by Preacher

(edited)

While it may seem like you're unwanted, (given the 3 inappropriate posts above) there are more people that enjoy playing with you here on this server than you think, Preacher, so you shouldn't feel unwanted. Though we never chatted together, you were at least one of those player's that wouldn't cause me to leave/be irked by you logging on and you were just a general decent guy to play with/against.

It's definitely an unwelcome atmosphere when an admin is abusing their power, especially on a long-time reg. But you have to realize that in every organization there will be people that slip in that do not follow the rules, and those that do, can sometimes slip up. For example, a while ago, I had a rather popular, (and usually kind admin) all of a sudden start tearing into my personal lifestyle for no reason. I didn't even respond once before he went on for 5-6 lines, 3-4 being insults. But because I didn't even acknowledge him, I never had a problem again.

So, all in all, the general consensus of GC, at least, is to promote a friendly atmosphere of respect. It doesn't happen all the time, but as others before me have also said, it happens more than not. If you don't believe this to be true, than there is nothing more I can say to have you remain. Though, I really hope you'll change your mind. Frag ya later! :wiggle2:

Edited by Saris

It took him six years to learn how to read. Taking three years for him to realize this place sucks is absolutely amazing for that man.

Don't

I haven't played with you for over 2 months! And now your leaving? I'll have to catch up with you in VI. :hug:

I find that your administration has been staffed with lackeys who do nothing but support bad practices that undermine decent people

Excuse me? Are you coming in here saying "I have problems but instead of handling them like an adult I'm going to whine and throw up my hands and leave"?

Sounds like it to me. I find this insulting and immature. Not only are you taking the easy way out, but you are directly disregarding your duties as an admin/member (I can't find any posts you made in the members/admin sections bringing these problems to our attention).

ZD is banned because he can't keep his mouth shut. Joking around is fine but the connection between ZD's brain and his mouth doesn't exist and we can't have that kind of representation on the servers. Sure I have fun playing with ZD but I can't make a double standard for him (or anyone else unfortunately, as much as it sucks to have to ban friends because they can't figure out how to not turn their mic on when they want to curse or the like).

I'm not sure if you have figured this out yet or not (it's hard to grasp I know). When people see someone do something "wrong" and not get reprimanded for it, they think it is perfectly acceptable to do it themselves. Even more so when a regular or even member acts in such a manner. It's not a big deal for some of these actions, but it is a big deal if regulars and noobs to the servers think that they can get away with it. This is why we come off as strict sometimes (and why we are admins here), because the general population either doesn't realize what they are doing or just can't figure out the repercussions of their actions. Do you not realize what you are doing or can you just not wrap your head around the repercussions of your own actions (considering the topic, I will side with the latter).

I'll be the first to admit that Lunk gets a double standard. But he's special and sometimes in life you just have to accept things like this. If you're having such big problems with a character like Lunk in this environment then good luck in life. Lunk is just a kittycat compared to what's really out there.

I'm sorry if I come off harsh here, but it is a perfectly natural reaction to what you posted and really fits with the theme that you have developed for this topic.

I'm personally always willing to forgive and forget so hopefully one day we can put all this ridiculousness behind us.

It's really sad that you won't be trolling around here anymore preach, you've always had a supportive and positive presence in the forums and the servers. I certainly understand that if you aren't comfortable with things that are going on somewhere, then it's best that you remove yourself before things are done/said that you may regret later. You're a fine example of what a positive member of a community should be, and we'll miss you around here.

At least I'll still catch you over at VI since I'm a regular contributor over there as well :luxhello:

have fun, god bless.

Sorry to see ya go Preacher. No hard feelings on my part. There are things I could do to improve things in game. And I should start working on them.

For the rest of you: If you don't have anything nice to say please refrain from posting. Let the man go in peace.

Sorry to see ya go Preacher. No hard feelings on my part. There are things I could do to improve things in game. And I should start working on them.

For the rest of you: If you don't have anything nice to say please refrain from posting. Let the man go in peace.

What Lunk said. :peace:

Also, I understand your reasoning...I've posted up several times 'bout lightening up to not much avail. That's why I try to do things like gimp players that are misbehaving--or slap them then drop 'em, or bind their fire key to say "Bang Bang!" instead of fire their weapon.

Back when I first started playing here, we messed with people that misbehaved...we turned them into chickens, buried them in the ground, threw them across the map...stuff like that. Now it's just kick and ban. Back in the day we also had full servers at any hour of the day, and very little to worry about punishment wise. Why can't we learn from that old-school admin style?

Well, that's all I'm going to say about that, because the main reason I'm posting here is because I'm sad to see Preach go! We'll miss you man, and know that at least some of us try to keep the fun in the admin-ness. I've only ever banned one guy, and that was for cheating. :shrug03:

I really hate to see you go man, but I will finally get my tail over to the VI servers from time to time to say hi with my M4A1. :wavey: