Leaving GC community

Preacher

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Mav in the sense that we should go back to the old punishment style of admining rather than gloat about our ban amount.. while MANY of those 3000+ deserved it, many may not have deserved a full ban..

bring back the:

Jedi hand of god slam

chicken

bury

burn

lightning strike

slap 1hp across the map 100 times

make player a rocket

THEN

kick

Ban 10 min

Ban 1 hour

Ban 1 Day

Ban 1 Week

Ban 1 Month

IMO we don't need permanent bans for anything less than Racism, Blatant Disrespect (telling an admin to F off after being warned etc.) and cheating.

anything less can be handled with punishments... if a community member can't keep his mouth shut ban him for a month, if he still can't then look into further actions..

And yes i think members and regs should get some leeway, but i don't think that someone who slips up their first time in the server should get instabanned

I have to admit, I agree with windex. Granted, it may take more "time" to admin,

but I think that in certain cases it gets the point across much better - you know,

sort of like "big brother is watching you and you have been warned".

OTOH, you think that regulars on servers would know better. Granted, it leaves this open

for even more debate (yikes)! Then again, itmightbe a good thing to treat everyone like

a noob - maybe the emarrasment of being treated like a nood would keep certain

problem children in check. At least, that is the Christmas wish list.....

Bravo Windex! That's exactly what I was saying...

Also, on a side note, when we used admin that way, it added significantly to the positive atmosphere as everyone was laughing at the guy getting punished. I mean, it's pretty funny to see the guy that TKed you 3 times turned into a chicken then swatted around while could do nothing but helplessly squawk for help. :biglaugha:

Again...we'll miss you Preach, but maybe you'll come back to us some day! :-(

Hehe...no matter how much things change they always stay the same...ZD being banned...Someone leaving :)

I think the problem with the hard line of Admins comes from the desire to have some enjoyment. I remember the BobLee (RIP) school of adminning. Ban first, ask questions later. I asked him about it and his philosophy was that he was there to play. He didn't have time to play and deal with all the crud from players. The rules are simple...follow them. If you got out of hand, he'd ban ya.

I didn't really understand this till later on when I was doing more admin for CsLs and then DOH. You get a couple punks and your night is shot trying to deal with it. It's easy to look at it and say "That one guy was just being a little bit of a jerk and you should have had more patience with him" but then when that happens 10, 20 times a night your 2 or 3 hours of playing have just been wasted dealing with those little things. These are admins who are spending hard earned money on a server to play on...not to babyset on.

Also, keep in mind that when you have 1 jerk your impacting 24 or more other players...so fair for that one guy is unfair for the rest.

Never been banned, never will...cause I follow the rules and have respect for others. Everyone does that & the discussion about how to admin doesn't need to happen.

(edited)

it's about it being a good bye as well as it is about initiating change and reflecting on WHY he is leaving. We have all agreed that there could be some change in the admining of the community and it should be discussed. as a community alot of us donate time, knowledge, experience, and even money toward this community so everyone should be heard.

Edited by Windex

screw this whole "saying goodbye" crap...I came in here to say "don't go".

bastard...

:(

I for one fully believe ZD deserves to be banned right now...I also fully believe ZD deserves his next chance to be unbanned.

I'll just paste what I just typed in our admin forums.

Welp, how do we reverse this? Cause we can't run into the ground.

First of all, at this time we will stop accepting any new admins while we assess the situation.

Second, someone make sure that the logging is recording normal text as well as any admin action used by mani. I expect mookie or SJ could check this.

I have to think on this. This downward spiral will have to stop.

What I want to start with immediately is the use of administrator's messages to the public.....anything they say. I want lists of mm1, mm2, admin_say, etc. If nobody wants to step up on this, I'll find the time. I have tried in the past to give motivational speeches, but they have done nothing. Now it's time to hold each individual accountable and weed them out. I will send out an email notifying all admins that they will now officially be under the microscope. More details about how we will assess and analyze an admin's performance, moreover their positive influence on the atmosphere, will come soon. I do know, however, that it will be based a great deal on the balance of their own interactions with the other players, as far as positive, neutral, or negative. This analysis will also include a database of the use of slaps, slays, bans, etc.

I used to weed out the trash while befriending even more people. No drama, nothing (ok, some drama once in a while). While I had a swift ban stick, the amount of friendly interactions, invitations to return to the server, and general good times outweighed the former by far. However, the hours upon hours that I spent in the office helping to build this community had a very bad effect on my marriage. Even with that in mind, I'll be damned if this organization is going to run itself into the ground.

Can I lead a reform from the outside of the game? I guess we'll see.

If this means that we drop half our admins and we reduce to a 20 player server due to the budget, then that's where we'll go.

At the same time, this will in no way reduce the ammount of accountability stressed on our community members as far as their efforts to regain our atmosphere. Case in point: Cowboy's post above is probably celebrated by many of his friends, but has not one bit of constructive thought, but is obviously antagonistic in nature.

In addition to the logs being kept on our admins and members, we'll gather some data on those who are threatening the atmosphere from outside of GC (i.e. the regs).

PS. Great post, Gond.

Thanks for taking the time to review this fatty.. i've been here for a long time and i'd like a place to continue playing with these people as well.. yes the good far outweighs the bad.

Hehe...no matter how much things change they always stay the same...ZD being banned...Someone leaving :)

Good post Gond.. I've been around long enough to realize ZD has always been banned. But, I do have faith ZD will be back in a year or so. And there will always be someone leaving the community. But more than likely they will be back as well.

I remember Bob's way of playing and thats the way it should be.

In my opinion, those of you who have admin, don't go into the game as an administrator. Go into the game as a player not an admin. When you see something going on that affects immediate gameplay, ban now, deal with it later. Don't spend your night acting as administrator and looking for a reason to ban people. Spend your night having fun, playing the game(with the ability to kick those who disrupt the entire scene)

while playing with the ban first ask questions later, a 2 hour ban is good enough unless it's hacking.. that will give time for discussion/complaint and the ability to extend the ban if necessary.

At the same time, this will in no way reduce the ammount of accountability stressed on our community members as far as their efforts to regain our atmosphere. Case in point: Cowboy's post above is probably celebrated by many of his friends, but has not one bit of constructive thought, but is obviously antagonistic in nature.

If I may, Preacher asked me not to post anything here. It was not celebrated by anyone. I was purposely being antagonistic.

I would ask that you not take anyone but me accountable for anything I post on here or VI. They are my views and my views only and I was not looking for a celebration. I really do think it sucks it got to the point someone as genuinely nice as Preacher would want to leave.

I am glad that the concerns raised were taken seriously and that some action is being taken. I hope things can go back to normal and everyone be happy with everything again soon. I hate drastic change, especially when the outcome is very negative. Thanks All.

I am glad that the concerns raised were taken seriously and that some action is being taken.
i'm also glad that you're heeding the stern warning mags gave you in place of your most recent ban so you might better understand why you were banned and can avoid it again in the future.

if anything is going to change, we all have to be willing to make change ourselves, including me, you, and everyone reading this.

Also Fatty if you want me to post something constructive I will.

I do not hate any of you. I actually do read some of the stuff on the main page before I click to go into forums. I have read about the charity and all that has been done through this community. I think it is heartwarming. I have read posts in the spirituality forum and real life forum about how you all stick together and help each other out. I think that it is amazing and commendable on the people who take part in both of the things I just stated.

However I did not like how the server or game was run. When I used to be there if someone slipped up you would have some admins post "please respect the rules." If that person didn't, they were gone. I like that. One warning and you're out is how it should be done. What I did not enjoy was some admins saying "respect the rules and don't talk" 15 minutes after the issue. That is also being antagonistic in my opinion.

Once again, .gc as people on a whole is an amazing community. How .gc was at some points in time running their server was far from amazing.

Would I want to see this place run into the ground after three years of getting to know some of you? Hell no. Contrary to popular belief, I would like to see it do well.

You're so wise. You're like a miniature Buddha, covered in hair.

--

I really do think it sucks that this thread got to the point to where something as genuinely amazing as an anchorman quote was needed to lift our spirits.