Firefox 3

boiler

Firefox 3 was officially released this week! I've been using Firefox 2 since it was released and even though it definitely has a few shortcomings (memory usage the main factor) I have enjoyed using it. Is anyone using version 3 yet? I'm thinking about upgrading but wanted some feedback first. Thanks!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, I just installed it, and so far it has some pretty sweet features....

For instance, the GC web page now takes up my entire window in 1920 x 1200 (which it didn't do before) with no distortion. The buttons look a little cooler, and the address bar improvements are pretty sweet. That being said, I've been using it for about 20 seconds. I'll report more when I have used more! :)

i've been using it fulltime on mac and pc since the first release candidate. i didn't initially like the url complete, but i've grown to like it. if you don't, search these forums for mookie's trick on stopping it.

+ no memory leaks (or slower to leak). for someone who has at least one browser window open all day, major plus.

+ loads a little quicker, but still not as fast as IE. i don't use IE except for dumb MSIE required sites.

- not all addons are available, yet. everything i use is, but some of the more abstract ones aren't.

- download day was a huge fail. hi, we're going to go for the download record, but have our servers crash 10 minutes after it officially starts. oh, and we're not going to use bittorrent to mitigate the impact. epic fail.

- RSS assumes you want to bookmark it in firefox, not just grab the url and import it to your favorite reader. i think this might have been "fixed" in the gold release

- security. an invalid ssl cert requires actual thought to accept. great for 99.9% of us here, but horrible for my dad who can't understand that a cert signed by google.com is actually ok to accept for gmail.com. it requires 2 non-intuitive click throughs. smart, but poorly executed.

- that dumb, dumb url freeze. if firefox is left open for too long, you can't "go" on the address bar. you manually enter a url, hit enter, and nothing happens, on any page, on any url. you have to restart ffox. very, very, very rarely, but enough to be annoying.

the - outweigh the +, but it's worth getting. go go go.

I've been using the beta for awhile (and installed the full version this morning). I have to say that the lack of memory leaks is awesome (still uses about 100mb of memory though) and the new Auto-Complete address bar is amazing. For example I have a forum that I visit that is located at a website named after the owner (think: bobsmith.com/someUrl/someOtherUrl/forum) and I can now just start typing the name of the forum and it finds the address without me having to remember anything.

where'd my back and forward buttons go though?

uh, top left where they've always been? :)

The new interface is nice, although I'm not sold on the "awesome bar" just yet. I haven't figured out it's organization just yet.

I was hoping that Version 2 would prompt for an update to Version 3. It was in version 2 that the update feature was added to Firefox. Now I will have to go around to all of my users and manually update them since we do not have anything to centrally manage this. This sucks the big one.

I was hoping that Version 2 would prompt for an update to Version 3. It was in version 2 that the update feature was added to Firefox. Now I will have to go around to all of my users and manually update them since we do not have anything to centrally manage this. This sucks the big one.

Give it a few days ZD. It might just take a bit for them to do the auto-update since I imagine the download servers are slammed right now.

(edited)

Been using the beta for a while and I only ran into text input bug a couple of times, like I'm typing but the word goes nowhere the letters keep overlapping each other. Hope it's fixed now. I was quite happy with 2.

I turned anti-IE back in the days of Netscape Navigator and still haven't used IE since. Maybe after 11 or 12 years I should give IE a try...na.

Edited by bushwack

I hate the address bar change. I'm too used to having the results being the web urls alone, not the site titles.

Enter about:config in the address bar.

FF3 gets smart and gives you some spiel about "Here be dragons". Just click the button to continue.

In the filter bar, enter browser.urlbar

Doubleclick browser.urlbar.matchOnlyTyped to change it to True

Doubleclick browser.urlbar.maxRichResults and you get a box pop up. Enter 0

Restart Firefox3.

Google is a powerful tool. Learn it. Love it. Use it.

(edited)
where'd my back and forward buttons go though?

uh, top left where they've always been? :)

The new interface is nice, although I'm not sold on the "awesome bar" just yet. I haven't figured out it's organization just yet.

they seriously disappeared!

wtfpf5.jpg

btw, the awesome bar doesn't make things all that different. just focus in on the blue writing and it's essentially the same. ORR you guys could just make bookmarks like everyone else and shut up about this. i very rarely use that bar...

Edited by Cujo