New Server Wish List

Brain

The new server seems to be great, but some of us miss a few features from the old server. I was told to post here.

This is the Wish List for the new server:

1) the nade round - without it, the bots run rampant for the first 30 seconds of the game, and the bomb ends up who knows where. Besides, who doesn't love fragging your team BEFORE they fail you? :D

2) "Settings" command - the old server let you set up an after-round report with damage reported in a GUI, among other features.

3) "rank", "next" and "top10" commands - though I've been told that the server is still ranked, I believe that many of us miss being able to see where we rank while in game, and to compete in that long-term way (gives us a shred of dignity when Lunk is on the opposing team ;))

4) Map rotation freeze when only bots are online - this seems strange, but on the old server, when the map changed people could tell that there are not only bots online, which makes it easier to get people to join and play a real game. You know... with 4 people online in dust2, it is probably bots, but with 4 people on in nuke, you have at least 1 human, so people join faster. (This only applied to the steam servers list, since in game it doesn't count bots in the player count).

5) the ability to slap someone who tk's you - Even though real men forgive accidental tk's.

6) sprays enabled

7) "motd" or "rules" commands - so that we can refer new players to them. Why not swear/tk? Cause GC said not to here->

8) "ff" command - lets people know that the server is friendly fire enabled.

9) Map rotation considerations - As Warpig states, "a new rotation would be nice....stock maps get very boring...get some custom maps loaded up in the rotation." The old server limited map rotation even more than the new one, probably due to the lack of popularity of some of the maps currently being played. What it sacrificed for the gain in map popularity was variety. I personally feel that the rotation should be limited to the most popular maps, with one extra not-quite-as-popular map each rotation (a different/random extra map each rotation), just to break up the monotony of the same maps over and over.

10) Mani - Peckles' requests. Stutters demands more: "Mani - with lower resource demand and more active developers (there hasn't been a release in > 1 year)."

11) Server limit above 20 - With server limit at 20, the 1 reserved spot keeps the server pretty consistently at 19, which is 10v9 (for those who may be mathematically challenged). 10v10 would be... more even.

Anybody else have any thoughts on these items?

Your friendly neighborhood physician,

Dr. King of Brain

Edited by Brain

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I played on the new server last night. I wish you guys would allow me to get my cl_cmdrate and cl_updaterrate under 30. I'm assuming my connection doesn't like those levels. I have anywhere between 20-50 choke the entire time. I can go look at the wall and it drops to 0.

I played on the new server last night. I wish you guys would allow me to get my cl_cmdrate and cl_updaterrate under 30. I'm assuming my connection doesn't like those levels. I have anywhere between 20-50 choke the entire time. I can go look at the wall and it drops to 0.

That sounds like your FPS is limiting your rates. Whats your vid card situation? What you look at doesn't change what the server sends to your client in its "world-snapshot" of changes.

Default is 20/30. Thats what the game ships with, for use on a "minimum spec" computer. To need less than that would require like... a Pentium 3 with a dialup connection or something.

ok.. here's what I've noticed. The old server sets your cmdrate at 50 and I have awful choke there also.. but I am able to counter that by setting my rate at 20,000... Maximum rate on new server is 10,000.. I'm guessing if I could set my rate at 20,000 on the new server it would fix it..

I added (per someone else's idea from the forums) a 'ma_users' command to all of my BUY weapon binds, so every round I would get a users list complete with steam ids at the beginning of a round. In case something questionable came up, I'd know the steam Id of everyone who started the round.

So yeah, I miss the ma_users command.

I do like some of the new things, like CHANGE NAME. Because I hate having to hear anyone say "change your name!"

I used to do that, but it was more involved, cuz i'd have to do a ma_cexec <name> name Something_else, so THANK YOU for putting that in.

Can you fix the VOTE MAP option to make it clearer whether it will change IMMEDIATELY or AFTER THE CURRENT MAP instead of "after vote" (which doesn't make sense)

We need to be able to disable the votemap as long as there is an admin in the server that can change if necessary. Yesterday we were all in there and Lunk was in there (who has full admin) and people kept rocking the vote, upon which a map would be voted and then change immediately. It was very annoying to say the least. We need to disable this feature or just have it somehow disabled when admins are on. Isn't that how the mani admin did it?

Edited by samurai nightling

I second the map rotation wish list. The old rotation was at least a little more enjoyable, however, some maps I'd like to keep (chateau, prodigy are fun every now and then). I'm pretty much in the server daily and the player fluctuate enormously depending on map, minus the regulars that come in just to have a good time.

New mappsss!

I second the map rotation wish list. The old rotation was at least a little more enjoyable, however, some maps I'd like to keep (chateau, prodigy are fun every now and then). I'm pretty much in the server daily and the player fluctuate enormously depending on map, minus the regulars that come in just to have a good time.

New mappsss!

Agreed. Old rotation was better.

Is noone really interested in setting up this "new" server? doesnt seem like anything people request is actually happening. is everyone too busy or just doesnt care anymore? just wondering <_<