Have a Mispronounced Name?

Unclean

My last name is Greiner (rhymes with Signer), but people mispronounce it as "Greener", "Grainer", or other butcherings. Even got a "Mr Grinner" today. But the worst I think is "Groiner". C'mon. That's not even close.

And a friend at work is named "Jawed" (pronounced Jah-ved), so you can imagine how many people get that one wrong. His manager keeps misprouncing his name... Jawd, Jawahd, Jawah-eed, Java, etc. They're never very consistent, but it's hilarious. So now we all just call him "The Wad". He doesn't mind, though.

Have any of you had some butcherings of your name? Or for a friend? Post up!

One thing that irks me are people with strange last names getting angry at pronounciations. Laugh it off and correct em if you feel like it but do not get angry with people for not being able to spit out a name with 2 Z's, 3 C's and 14 vowels.

GC Alumni
(edited)

My last name is Lewandowski, everyone says it like it sounds...or at least trys, lol....but actually, the w's are pronounced as v's, so it should be Lev-and-ov-ski. My mother had the same problem with her maiden name...Koszegi....she always hated it, lol.

I guess it beats trying to pronounce my grandmothers maiden name...Csabai.

Edited by Clueless .gc

I trip on my last name everytime, always have, alwasy will...Lindermere...I get Lindamer, Windamere, Windermere, Linderman, etc....most of my friends call me Linda (I already regret saying that...)

It's not as bad as my boss who's Icelandic...his last name is easy but his first name gets butchered...it's Audunn which is pronounced like Nathan without the N (Athan) or how about this young guy who works for us...last name is Szymczyk...I don't even bother, I'm afraid if I manage to say it right it'll summon a demon that will eat me...

(edited)
Since I moved, everyone takes a double at my last name and usually gets it wrong

Quesinberry

Your name sounds like a wine cooler flavor.. :) Are you a 'Girl Drink Drunk'?

The most mispronounced name in America is....... Drum Roll..... Dr. Suess did you know that his name rhymes with 'Rejoice'??? If you watch the making of the Jim Carry movie "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" Dr. Suess's wife tells that little known Fact..

Edited by Batman

Bartilson. Said exactly like it's spelt. Bar (as in lets go to one) -til (what a farmer does to the field in the spring) -son (as in what I am to my parents)

Why people seem to want to add more B's, k's, t's, and re-arrange the letters is beyond me. :) Tis a good strong Scandinavian name (even though I'm primarily Welsh, and German. :D)

Jeremy. Luckily Pearl Jam finally wrote a song to help people forget about Jeremiah the Bull Frog.

Growing up I got a lot of germy, germany, jimmy, jerry, jiminy....and of course jeremiah

Since I moved, everyone takes a double at my last name and usually gets it wrong

Quesinberry

Your name sounds like a wine cooler flavor.. :) Are you a 'Girl Drink Drunk'?

Yea it is girly sounding. I need something tough like

Uwannaarsewhoopin