R.I.P. Crocodile Hunter

JackieChan

The naturalist and television star Steve Irwin has died in a diving accident in far north Queensland. He was 44.

Police say he was stung through the heart by a stingray while diving off Port Douglas.

He was filming a documentary when the accident occurred around midday AEST near the Low Isles.

A helicopter arrived with paramedics on board to try to resuscitate him, but it was too late.

Irwin, who was was born in Victoria in 1962, inherited his love of reptiles from his father.

His father Bob was a keen reptile enthusiast and moved the family to Queensland in 1970 to open a small reptile park on the Sunshine Coast.

Irwin took over the family business in 1991 and grew it into Australia Zoo.

In 1992 he ventured into television, making the first series of the Crocodile Hunter.

When the program aired in the United States, he shot to international fame.

Irwin is survived by his wife Terri and two children.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200609/s1732439.htm

Ok, stabbed throught the heart by a stingray? What are the odds? It was obviously out to get him...crikey!

R.I.P. Steve...you brought the wonderful world of animals to so many in a way only you could have done, I miss you already...

W8 has a point that isn't a debate on his lifestyle. The guy taunted animals on every show. The linked picture is merely an illustration of his usual routine. The point of the kid is just an extreme example of how he gave little respect to the animals and their temper. The only surprise here is that he lived as long as he did. Next up, will be the people from the show "Jack Butt."

The guy died doing what he loved. And that was bringing the world of dangerous animals into our homes and teaching us how important they are. He had the utmost respect for these animals. You might know that if you watched more the evening news "sound-bites". And watched his shows on a regular basis.

Now folks want to start being petty about what he did. GG.

Per your request, I will not "debate" you regarding the topic. Obviously we differ regarding his respect of the animals, and any discussion we might have had likely wouldn't have resolved that disagreement; so it is for the best anyway.

remember him dangling his child in the mouth of an alligator doesn't suprise me....he seemed like he wasn't too cautious about the creatures he taunted anyway?

http://news.yahoo.com/photos/ss/events/lf/.../167/56yka.html

Be nice w8t. We're not gonna make this a debate on his style of living.

R.I.P. Steve.

He also wasn't dangling his child in any mouth...he fed a croc while holding his kid. While it was very debatable, it wasn't like you report, nor does it have anything to do with this topic.

However, along that topic, I think the Today Show this morning did him a disservice by replaying their interview with him on the baby topic.

He was very entertaining, it's a sad thing.

i remember watching his shows.. in the begining his croc park was small and jail like. when he grew popular you

could see the park become larger and better for the animals.. He loved his crocs, and u gotta respect somthing

u love.

RIP Steve

Edited by Brew

I will miss his great show. Had a dangerous job and has gotten bite by many posion snakes, and still was not afraid to get back out there. I thought he would eventually get killed, but defiently not by a stingray.

RIP steve

I always thought his nerves were made of steel. Sadly, his heart wasn't. It was always a blast watching his show on TV whenever I saw it. I had quite a bit of respect for the guy. But he died doing what he loved: Giving his knowledge and experiences to the world.

Rest in Peace, Stevie.

Yeah, not many people would learn as much as they did without this brave man showing his love of animals the way he did.

He just waltzed so close to death one too many times.

We'll all miss Steve "Crocodile Hunter" Irwin.

He not only gave respect to the more dangerous animals of the world, but he was a diehard conservationist who in a tradgic bit of irony died filming his documentary which he hoped would help the conservation of wildlife. Rest in the halls of your ancestors well Steve, you shall be remembered.

He was a showman, that's for sure...But like most showman, his heart was somewhere other than the screen. Steve was a great conservationist and always spoke candidly about saving wetlands, reefs, and the great chapparal that was the Australian "outback."

As a science teacher, I can tell you that kids loved his shows and always learned from them...I did too...

We will miss you Crocodile Hunter. You died doing what you loved and it was with the fates that you should go like this...

If we could all be so lucky...

Granted he was doing what he loved. But a married man with two children (so i hear, well 1 for sure). You would think he'd slow down a bit and not take so many risks. In his line of work it was bound to happen. Just like it happened to that dude who lived with Grizzly bears for 9 years. I feel sorry for his family and more sorry that his children will grow up without a father.