So Umm.... Beer ?

ZeroDamage

So I was thinking... I am not a beer drinker. I really dislike it for the most part. My question is this: What beer would be good for a none beer drinker? Is there something that tastes better than the typical sewage you find in a Bud can that a none beer drinker would appreciate? I imagine you should not have any input if you are under 21 (unless you are in the military since many countries allow drinking at 18).

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it kind of depends why you do not like beer. If it is the general taste of it you would want to stick to a beer that either is really watered down or one that emphasizes a specific taste. There are alot of different beers that have vastly different flavors... but they pretty much all taste like beer. If you do not like the taste of beer I would reccommend not bothering. If it something specific I could suggest some very tasty brews. Where do you live? I only really know microbrews from the midwest.

This post is probably nowhere near useful (as it's mostly about particular brands) but I'll link it anyway.

So I was thinking... I am not a beer drinker. I really dislike it for the most part. My question is this: What beer would be good for a none beer drinker? Is there something that tastes better than the typical sewage you find in a Bud can that a none beer drinker would appreciate? I imagine you should not have any input if you are under 21 (unless you are in the military since many countries allow drinking at 18).

It depends on what your perspective is. There are a lot of beers that people will claim appeal to people who "don't like the taste of beer," and usually they just turn out to be fruity. Even though I think that claim is probably aimed at women, there's nothing wrong with a fruity beer and I'll willingly admit that I like Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat a lot myself.

If you've pretty much just had pale lagers then you really haven't had the full beer experience. There's a flavor in pale ales and lagers that I can only describe as "pukey" which I don't taste in most of the darker ales and lagers I've had. Your best move might be to go out to a package store and get a mixed pack from some brewery and see if you like anything you taste in there. The ones I've seen around here usually have 2 each of 6 different beers and might be easier than trying to pick out a bunch of singles.

A suggestion that might be really tough depending on where you are would be to give cider a try. I have a hard time finding good ciders and as I understand it New York and New England really are the only places in the new world where there's a lot of cider. Some stuff is basically apple juice that gets you drunk, but there is real cider out there too that tastes totally different from the "apple cider" you get at a farm stand. Usually it's made from hard apples (hence "hard cider"), so anything that lists a kind of apple you'd eat is going to be pretty sweet (not dry).

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style

This might be useful as it gives a loose description of a lot of different styles of beer. I don't find flavor descriptions to be especially useful though; they seem to presuppose a lot of experience tasting a variety of beers.

Any Beer that is drank after Ty slaps you to death after tking him. he he he Pwned!

I dislike beer as well. So I just stick with whiskey. If you're just into getting drunk without the bad taste, go with vodka. It has no taste so it will take on the flavor of whatever you mix it with. That being said, being drunk is highly over rated.

I guess I should have clarified. hehe.

I am not looking to get drunk. For social reasons due to where I work now, I will on more than one occasion be in a situation where beer may be the beverage of choice. Getting drunk is stupid IMO but a drink or two every now and then is alright.

I guess I should have clarified. hehe.

I am not looking to get drunk. For social reasons due to where I work now, I will on more than one occasion be in a situation where beer may be the beverage of choice. Getting drunk is stupid IMO but a drink or two every now and then is alright.

Guinness...never ever let anyone pollute your body with anything else. Do not drink it from the can, leprechauns will steal your soul at dawn if you do not use a proper pint glass. Wait for the head to fully form before drinking it. Laugh at anyone who drinks anything else, as they are inferior to you. If your local pub doesn't serve Guinness, find somewhere that does serve the nectar of the gods.

I've been a heavy drinker for just over 10 years now and have recently come to terms with my alcoholism. Nothing is worth drinking except Guinness. Trust me. I can't stand the taste and feeling of regular beer anymore, it's all a by-product of farm animals compared to Guinness.

Great...it's not even 9 and you have my mouth watering for a Guinness...

ZD try a weiss beer. It has a little more body, but it's still sweet tasting. If you're at a nice bar, have them throw an orange slice in there to mix it up. Also there are some liquor in my area that let you mix and match a 6 pack. Try to find somewhere that does that. Sit down with a friend that drinks beer and start popping tops. If you don't like it just pass it on to him. There's no reason for alcohol abuse! We'll make a drunk out of you yet :P

Oregon specializes in a lot Micro brews. Check them out and order some windmere brothers, there so much better then say a bud or a busch... or paps (lol)

Guinness > every brewery/microbrewery/yokle with a still in the USA and Canada

Don't bother wasting your time trying out all these beers. Go with the tried tested and true taste of Irish dedication. You won't be sorry.

(edited)

leprechauns scare me. And they make me laugh.

Well, time does not permit me to hit up any bars right now, so store purchases may be necessary in my case. I gotta find something or a couple of options so I can much more easily succumb to the peer pressure when the social events do take place. Anonymo seems to know his stuff being Irish and all. Mags is a natural, I am sure. The rest of you just scare me.

Edited by ZeroDamage

Guinness is good, but the be-all, end-all it is not. Some people *gasp* don't even like it (but I don't think highly of them, 'Mo).

If you feel that drinking is part of the socialization, then you've got the opportunity to try a bunch of things. I'll pitch in Blue Moon with an orange slice. It's worth a shot. Of course, I'll say the the usual "if you don't want to drink you shouldn't feel like you must," but that doesn't seem like it's up for discussion, so here's to hoping you find something you like!

Why start drinking something that does more damage than some drugs when you don't even like it?

Human nature baby...

btw...most of the additives in your food and the pollution in the air and water are what you should really be worried about.

besides, 1-4 drinks per day (according to widespread medical studies) can benefit your heart and help control cholesterol.

That's besides the point, the question was about beer.

There are lots of good micros in America and Canada...some of the big brewers even manage to put on a decent product now and then.

I will list some of my favs:

Guinness (number one, besides all the hype above...a good beer, a bit bitter for most beginners)

Rogue (a brewery in Oregon, does good stouts and specialty beers...like Deadguy Ale, and Shakespeare Stout)

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

Paulaner Weissebier

Ayinger Ur-Weiss

Leinenkugel's (GASP!) Sunset Wheat (a really decent, flavorful, lighter style whit beer...good for beginners)

Captain Bock's Nuts (Done by Bent River Brewing Compnay, a nut brown ale, English style...good balanced flavor)

Two Brother's Brewery (out of Chicagoland) has great beers

Goose Island Hex Nut Brown Ale, Wheat, Stouts...they've got a good selection readily available.

Spaten Optimator (a sweet imperial stout, high alcohol content)

That is a very short list...

Check out

http://www.mylifeisbeer.com/

*cheers!

I personally did not like the taste of beer the first time I tried it, but I kept having one every once in a while and now I love it. Personally, I don't like the fruity stuff as it's not really beer to me. (Man law - don't fruit the beer!) I also like the "beer" flavor, so some of these suggestions may not be for you.

I will also give a vote for Guinness, but it is DEFINITELY not for the faint of heart. It is very dark/heavy and can be a little bitter. Does have lots of good flavor (opposed to light beers that are like "making love in a canoe" - ask if I need to explain that one)

Other darker, more flavorful beers I recommend are:

1. Smithwick's (pronounced "smiddicks") is an Irish beer, dark in color and rich in flavor (lighter than Guinness). I first had it on tap at the Claddaugh Irish Pub, and fell in love with it. I now order it over Guinness when I go someplace with it on tap. Bottles, however, do not do this fantastic beer justice compared to tap. Some beers can do the bottle well, some can't. This isn't one of them. (still very tasty, don't get me wrong, but not close to the flavor on tap)

2. Sam Adams Boston Lager - boatloads of hops flavor (yum), lighter than the previous two but has a lot of body to it. Pretty decent in bottles too. Sam Adams makes a bunch of different kinds, haven't tried them all, but I would give them a try. The ones I have tried have all been tasty.

3. Newcastle - English beer, dark in color with interesting flavor. Similar to Smithwicks, but the predominant flavor is different. I haven't had it in a while, so I can't remember exactly what that flavor is. Also translates pretty well to bottles.

One thing to note, is if you drink any of the ones I've mentioned, you WILL KNOW you are drinking a beer. They are better than bud ligh/miller light/etc because they have lots more flavor to it than just generic beer taste. Darker beers generally have a little more something to them which can make drinking them more enjoyable.

If you want to drink "beer" without really thinking you're doing it, then go with Blue Moon and throw an orange slice in it (but on TAP, I've heard the bottled stuff just isn't that good). I think Blue Moon is nasty fruity crap, but thats just my opinion. My fiance loves it, but she also likes the stuff I've listed above as well. Go figure.

Happy beering!

Guinness is good, Stella is better (my personal favourite), Orval is freaking weird but alluring, Holy GrAil is a novelty, Rickard's is gross, Keith's isn't bad, Coors is nasty, Bud is nasty, Kokanee is semi ok, Molson a little better, Heineken isn't too bad. Corona is the absolute worst thing I have ever tasted in my entire life. I wouldn't even drink it for free.

If you're looking for a good beer that doesn't have the bitterness as much as others, probably your best bets are Stella Artois or Guinness. Orval is adventurous and fun =D But costs a lot, if you can actually manage to find it.

In college I hated beer. In college, beer means: MGD, Miller light, Michelob, etc if you're lucky; otherwise its whatever brand has a 24 pack of cans on sale for 5 bucks.

There are many more styles of beer than our traditional Pilsner (yuck). I find that the style of beer I like are typically Amber or darker. Bass, Harp, James Page (both their Amber and Brown), New Castle Brown Ale, Guinness, or Black & Tan or Black & Brown. Oh -- and don't let me forget India Pale Ale -- yum!

Yay. There are some bars where you can order little mini samplers of a few style of beer to see what you like.