No Renewal From Me

VladPiranha

My subscription, or whatever you'd call it, ran out at the end of the year. After giving it some very brief thought, I've decided to pass on renewal and I'll explain why. In the past six months, regulars have been leaving in droves, having played out their interest in Left 4 Dead 2 in general. This has left us with fewer leaders, fewer competent players and fewer people who actually follow the rules and care. What we get instead now are multitudes of new players who either contribute nothing at all or grief altogether. This problem has only been compounded by the dwindling number of admins. To make matters worse, reasonable people like myself, have now been stripped of their ability to rid the server of problematic players due to the removal of the !votekick option.

I've seen infected attack their teammates for an entire round or survivors running backwards and exploring a map with complete disregard for their team's screams to do the contrary. The most infuriating part is that after these people have usually damaged a team's chances beyond repair, they'll simply leave. Let's not forget that a campaign can take ninety minutes to complete. A griefer can ruin that in fewer than five, wasting a substantial portion of a team's night. The only person who gets to enjoy the round is the person who plays it their way at the expense of everyone else. For free. Nevermind that members have paid good money to play a game that they're being denied. By disallowing punishment of key troublemakers, we as a community are essentially saying that the rights of the lone, selfish and cruel individual are more important than those of nine paying members who abide by the rules. I understand that a highly vindictive attitude and intolerance toward new players can ruin the server (like DOTA players), but the current conditions are corroding whatever worth it has anyway. If it's impossible to play a fun, team-oriented game, then there really is no reason to show up at all. I sympathize with our former regulars at this point.

I want people to ask themselves what their money is really buying them in comparison to a year ago. A year ago, we had a happier player base that was more cooperative and less tolerant of griefing sadists. That was worth the money. That's all imperiled now because the good guys have no ability to fight back on their own and what authority we do have is nonexistant or indifferent. This has bothered me for a while now, but the problems are really aproaching the Rubicon quickly. I'm not like the average jackass internet user who casually uses the word 'rape' in a humorous context. I reserve it for analogies that involve the humiliation and injustice that the word really stands for.

Rape is what griefing is doing to our server and it's not worth $15 to stand by helplessly and watch.

• Like 2

regulars have been leaving in droves, having played out their interest in Left 4 Dead 2 in general.

I think that's the main reason for basically everything. I know i am getting a bit tired of the game, only reason i still play sometimes is when good friends are also playing.

By disallowing punishment of key troublemakers, we as a community are essentially saying that the rights of the lone, selfish and cruel individual are more important than those of nine paying members who abide by the rules.

I don't think you can consider us as disallowing punishment. Yesterday alone 5 players were banned permanently from the server.

I want people to ask themselves what their money is really buying them in comparison to a year ago.

The yearly fee is a way to support the community, to show support of what we're trying to do here. If you pay, we'll do our best to make sure there is always room for you on our server. It's a benefit that comes with supporting the community, it is not and never has been a pay-to-play community. We never took it upon ourselves to rid the world of non-sympathetic people, this is still the internet.

The fact that you express a lot of criticism, yet have never endeavoured to get votekick back, applied for admin or ever joined the discussions on the forums leads me to believe that you are more tired of the game and all it comes with, than how the server is being handled specifically.

That being said i'm sorry to see you go

good luck with everything you do

Dude

Edit: typos

Edited by TheDude
  • Like 1

I always hate to see regulars leave. I understand your displeasure for the new players that frequent the server especially during the free 2 or 3 weeks that we experienced. There are a few good apples in that bunch that turn into solid regulars and really want to learn, you just have to fight through the bad to get to the good. New players who want to learn are turn into new regulars and keep the server going. Griefers are being banned, admins are doing their best to make sure that happens.

The regulars left because Yoshi became Admin. :)

Actually, the reason they left was certain admins were always riding them hard along with allowing ridiculous team stacks to happen. Those regulars are still on my steams friends list. They wont come back until certain major changes happen. The fact that we allow no commited players to break rules, and other things of that nature made them leave.

• Like 2

I haven't really left, but I stopped playing because certain things were allowed even when some board members disagreed, and then certain things were frowned upon, like using votekick.

I'll say this, and I've said it in the past. When I first started playing on this server, it was only after I played the campaign mode for a while. But when I joined, there were certain unwritten and written rules about this server and other servers that made it so that you could get kicked if you were breaking those rules. I always learned the hard way. I was kicked for holding a spitter, I was kicked for rushing, I was even banned a couple times over the course of about 2 years. The first time I was kicked I thought I was banned. This lead me to the website and this Forum to try and get unbanned because I enjoyed playing on this server and I felt what I did was a simple mistake. But without being kicked, I would have not learned as quickly...thus making the game more difficult for other players on my team.

I want to know the real reason why votekick was created in the first place...and then why it was removed. I thought it was supposed to be a tool for members only to kick the ones not playing with the team or breaking rules when an admin wasn't around. But having to find an admin on steam just to get someone removed because we weren't allowed to votekick made it that much more difficult on the rest of the team as one or two of us would have to temporarily leave the game/go afk to contact an admin, and 10 minutes later the person finally gets banned, or leaves before it happens.

I agree with Vlad that times have changed and this server is always full of players who don't listen, or don't even speak our language and refuse to help or play with the team.

Lately, when I log on, this is what I see happening:

I see the server is nearly full with members.

I join and play a game.

After a bit a couple members leave and new players join that are unfamiliar with the server.

Those new players make it difficult for the entire team and other members begin to leave that team because we cant vote-kick.

Soon you have a team that has mostly members, and another team with only a couple members.

A scramble is requested, and it either gets denied or after the scramble, the members who get put on the losing team leave the game.

Sometimes those members will rejoin and get back on their old team.

Because of this, more members leave and chaos ensues when more non-members and new players join the server.

• Like 2

Votekick was being abused even when admins were on. Also, we're actively trying to add new admins. Just yesterday there were three new apps posted.

And as far as new players joining that were unfamiliar with the server, did anybody try to help them? I know when I first joined the game not many people were sharing info with me. I am thankful that I was in Vent with Tirtul and Chick and they helped me out.

GC is, always has been, and always will be a community that is friendly and accommodating to new players.

My opinion on scrambles might be slightly jaded based on thousands of losses in CS over the years. Or maybe I don't care about winning, I'm playing the game with people I like, and playing for fun. It's not competitive, it's not a league, it's a public server for fun. I don't mind losing a CSGO match 16-1, or 10-0 in the pub. On that same principal I didn't mind losing a campaign by a large margin either.

Maybe everybody needs to step back and ask yourself this: Am I trying to have fun with friends, or am I just here to win?

Or perhaps we just disable the scoreboard and then we don't have to worry about winning and losing.

• Like 1

I understand you guys are having problems with the vote kick. I have a suggestion that may/may not be possible. You guys should allow vote kick to the paid members only, therefore hackers, ragers, etc. can be kicked (and only for say, a couple hours). And, trusted players are the only ones vote kicking. I rarely play on the l4d2 server, but I would love to see this implemented in the cs go server (I'm sure it would work in the l4d2 server as well.) Not sure if there is a plugin or something that would make this possible, though

Edited by Keralis

Don't need renewal to continue playing on this server. Just continue to play as you see fit. I been taking a break from time to time.

Is unfortunate but that's just how all games roll. Old players will leave over time and new players take over. New players form their own community and we more changes in the server.

I understand you guys are having problems with the vote kick. I have a suggestion that may/may not be possible. You guys should allow vote kick to the paid members only, therefore hackers, ragers, etc. can be kicked (and only for say, a couple hours). And, trusted players are the only ones vote kicking. I rarely play on the l4d2 server, but I would love to see this implemented in the cs go server (I'm sure it would work in the l4d2 server as well.) Not sure if there is a plugin or something that would make this possible, though

This was the way it was before it was removed. votekick was always a member-only tool.

Votekick was being abused even when admins were on. Also, we're actively trying to add new admins. Just yesterday there were three new apps posted.

And as far as new players joining that were unfamiliar with the server, did anybody try to help them? I know when I first joined the game not many people were sharing info with me. I am thankful that I was in Vent with Tirtul and Chick and they helped me out.

GC is, always has been, and always will be a community that is friendly and accommodating to new players.

My opinion on scrambles might be slightly jaded based on thousands of losses in CS over the years. Or maybe I don't care about winning, I'm playing the game with people I like, and playing for fun. It's not competitive, it's not a league, it's a public server for fun. I don't mind losing a CSGO match 16-1, or 10-0 in the pub. On that same principal I didn't mind losing a campaign by a large margin either.

Maybe everybody needs to step back and ask yourself this: Am I trying to have fun with friends, or am I just here to win?

Or perhaps we just disable the scoreboard and then we don't have to worry about winning and losing.

diamond always make fun of me for trying to save nubs ='[ lol XD

disable scoreboard? id be up for it because some people cant learn to lose lol

I used to think we needed votekick as an option, but eventually I changed my mind, when I saw it used incorrectly too often. There are certain players who are great with the rules, they were calling votekicks when it was needed, but there are too many others who kick people for the wrong reasons. We don't kick people because they are new, because they don't understand English, because they are not playing exactly how others want them to play, etc. We have very clear rules when someone is kicked, banned, warned, etc. When I get in the server, there are certain members that will tell me to kick all the noobs. I realize it is frustrating, but I follow the same rules as the members are supposed to.

And a quick funny note....Before I was a member on the server, I was votekicked by General. I saw the vote pop up and every single person vote yes.. the last thing I saw typed in was from General saying "wrong person vote no!" but of course when people see the vote pop up, they all assume it is for a good reason and vote yes. He meant to kick someone else, probably for a good reason, but picked me by mistake.

Votekick will not come back. We are adding more admins. Also, we do ban people based on screenshots and demos. I just banned one yesterday from someone sending me a copy of the chat log from the console. Keep them coming.

• Like 1

This was the way it was before it was removed. votekick was always a member-only tool.

Then why isn't it like that anymore :C

I mean, did you even read Peanut's post?

Also, we do ban people based on screenshots and demos. I just banned one yesterday from someone sending me a copy of the chat log from the console. Keep them coming.

Just like Peanut said, if you find someone breaking the rules substantially,

take a screenshot of the event and post it here...

_

| |

| |

| |

\ /

\ /

\ /

http://gamrs.co/forums/index.php?/topic/44032-ban-request/

I used to think we needed votekick as an option, but eventually I changed my mind, when I saw it used incorrectly too often. There are certain players who are great with the rules, they were calling votekicks when it was needed, but there are too many others who kick people for the wrong reasons.

If I remember correctly...

*Server First Opens*

*Members can Vote Kick because not enough admins*

*New members who join vote kick for wrong reasons*

*New admins join*

*Vote kick becomes out of control and is removed*

--- Stopped going on the server for almost a year---

*Spit and die happens*

--- Come back for a few days for Presents---

*Spit and die becomes common phrase*

--- Uninstalled L4D2---

*People think it should become a rule, but doesnt*

The current state of affairs is that L4D2 is starting to loose its luster (It was dead on arrival for me)

It really comes down to how often do admin play on the server. Whenever I play, Mercman tends to be online with us. If we have enough admin to be on most of the time to monitor the server, then we don't need votekick back.

I remember one time that someone was jockey in front so I go up to save him and everyone else thought we both were rushing so they votekick me out. I agreed that it gets out of hand and there are many times in the past people abuse this feature to get rid of "unskilled player"

Edited by Protomanx13

Well first of all Vlad sorry to see you go, hope you change your mind. Played with you many times and enjoyed your company on the server.

I also understand what you are saying and everyone here has made good points.

I know we had the votekick option on and off and the pendulum tends to swing both ways. When we have votekick option, it gets abused sometimes and that causes one kind of problem, when it's removed it causes another.

Another contributing factor is that L4D goes on sale and we get an influx of new players and some of those players are A-holes, but that comes with the territory.

I wonder if there is a way to turn votekick on for members only, if there is no admin present on the server and disable it when there is. That might be a compromise that could work? Just an idea.

I mean, did you even read Peanut's post?

LMAO!

Sorry to hear you leaving Vlad - I hope that you reconsider, have always enjoyed playing with you.

The recent influx of new people makes it difficult for everyone, especially as it seems that the majority of them have never played on a 4v4 Server (as Steam suggests that before playing a versus game, you need to have 50hrs experience in single campaign mode) this is presumably so that players do become effective in controlling the characters and getting to know the maps).

When so many new people have less than 1hour of game-play time, it is obvious that these people are so inexperienced, it becomes pointless at times to babysit, especially when there is no communication from them, they are not willing to learn points system, like to shop around and not stay with the team.

Countless times I've heard many people say "leave the bots", but when there are so many new people, the bots are much more helpful than these people,

New people should be welcomed here, but I'm sorry to say that if they are not willing to learn how this server operates, we should be allowed to ditch them the way we ditch the bots.

• Like 1

As one of the "newer players" who started playing in the last year, I don't really have much experience with the server's "good old days". I will say that in the year i've been around here, I've really enjoyed the server, playing on it, and getting to recognize some faces around here. During the day, the server does tend to be chaotic as not enough regulars are on, but in the evenings, when both teams get filled, its a great time and I don't see things go downhill as much. Sad to see any regulars depart the server for any reason, because it is great to play with the regulars and play well. More admins would likely help.