Windows 7 Beta

Lunk

So just grab the entire folder and it will just work?

Yeah. I go into my program files folder and find the one called Valve or Steam and back up the whole thing. I have a copy that I back up about once a every couple of months onto an external drive that I have sitting here. Which reminds me that I am about due to do that. I will have to take care of it tomorrow.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else having downloads hang at 99% for around 15-20 seconds? Seems to happen quite a bit (about 90% of downloads I've done).

Also, Handbrake doesn't work. Nor does RealVNC client (submitted to MS on that).

Using Playon to stream Hulu etc. to my Xbox and that works really well. Can't figure out the streaming of other videos with Windows Media Player given that it uses "homegroups" (it doesn't see the Xbox).

Otherwise I'm running and actively using on both a laptop and desktop (played several hours of CS and didn't notice a difference from XP) and have really liked the interface. Thought I'd be disappointed, but have been pleasantly surprised.

I used the XP64 beta and when it expired it simply had a notice that came up every time you logged into the PC that said you were not using a legit copy of windows. I still could do everything like before it just would pop up now and then with the message window. If you plan to stick with win 7 then you will need to purchase a key at the end of the beta or reinstall vista or XP. My suggestion is that if you are worried about it you shouldn't even bother with the beta test. If you are planning on getting win7 then go for it, if not what is your motivation to use it? If you just want to be part of this discussion that's a little silly IMO.

I'm not interested in the Beta simply to be a part of the discussion - I would really like to replace Vista with Windows 7 if it really is that much better. If I still had a secondary (gaming) computer, I would be installing it on that right now. Since I only have one and it is vital to my work, I'm hesitant to do it. IF this was a release copy, I would buy a copy right now and install, but the beta transition sounds like something I don't want to mess with on my primary computer. I will be at the front of the line for a legit copy once they are released though.

I used the XP64 beta and when it expired it simply had a notice that came up every time you logged into the PC that said you were not using a legit copy of windows. I still could do everything like before it just would pop up now and then with the message window. If you plan to stick with win 7 then you will need to purchase a key at the end of the beta or reinstall vista or XP. My suggestion is that if you are worried about it you shouldn't even bother with the beta test. If you are planning on getting win7 then go for it, if not what is your motivation to use it? If you just want to be part of this discussion that's a little silly IMO.

I'm not interested in the Beta simply to be a part of the discussion - I would really like to replace Vista with Windows 7 if it really is that much better. If I still had a secondary (gaming) computer, I would be installing it on that right now. Since I only have one and it is vital to my work, I'm hesitant to do it. IF this was a release copy, I would buy a copy right now and install, but the beta transition sounds like something I don't want to mess with on my primary computer. I will be at the front of the line for a legit copy once they are released though.

worst case you'd just re-install windows 7 when the release copy comes out. this release is as good as final to me. certainly compared to vista.

I'm sorry, only people currently using the beta are allowed to post in this thread. Please stand outside.

(edited)

How much hd space does windows 7 take up?

Was going to install xp tonight on my box on 2 36 gig raptors in raid 0, but am leaning towards just installing xp on 1, then windows 7 on another and being able to dual boot from sep hds..

Edited by mohawk

or you can just spend 15 minutes and use the steam game backup tool... throw it to a dvd size file and restore from that.

that actually takes longer because Steam compresses everything and then has to decompress everything when you restore later. it is good if you want DVD's as a backup medium but pointless if you just want to backup your steam files.

I have a separate partition just for games. Also located on that partition is Steam and all it stuff inside. If I format my main partition and reinstall Windows, all I have to do is install Steam back to my games partition then log in and BAM, all my Steam games are ready to go just as they were before.

I have a separate partition just for games. Also located on that partition is Steam and all it stuff inside. If I format my main partition and reinstall Windows, all I have to do is install Steam back to my games partition then log in and BAM, all my Steam games are ready to go just as they were before.

I also do this. I even give it the letter "G". :luxhello: You know what they say about great minds!

Well, I still lack the commitment to reformat and try this, even as great as it sounds..so what I am gonna do is go buy another HD, which I will later reuse in my upcoming HTPC project, and install Windows7 on that and simply move my Steam folder over to that drive. I have a Best Buy gift certificate from xmas, and the 1TB drives are going for as low as $129...that will hold alot of movies down the road :D

I'll guess I will get to it this weekend.

So far, the download from Microsoft has gotten to 99% and no farther, I have stopped and restarted many times, but it doesn't totally finish...so maybe I won't be loading Win7 this weekend >:(

I can tell you that download managers seem to time out a lot when downloading this and the Microsoft link fails each and every time as well after about 300MB. I just synced the files to my Dropbox so I can grab them again if I need them. The process of getting them is annoying and there were too many inconsistencies with the torrent sizes for me to trust them.

I will say that my Dual Xeon system did not like Windows 7 or vise versa. It would install and then I would get a hal.dll missing error. Very odd. I might also have a bad Hard Drive.

So far, the download from Microsoft has gotten to 99% and no farther, I have stopped and restarted many times, but it doesn't totally finish...so maybe I won't be loading Win7 this weekend >:(

I can tell you that download managers seem to time out a lot when downloading this and the Microsoft link fails each and every time as well after about 300MB. I just synced the files to my Dropbox so I can grab them again if I need them. The process of getting them is annoying and there were too many inconsistencies with the torrent sizes for me to trust them.

I will say that my Dual Xeon system did not like Windows 7 or vise versa. It would install and then I would get a hal.dll missing error. Very odd. I might also have a bad Hard Drive.

Fresh install, or upgrade install getting the hal error?

Fresh install, or upgrade install getting the hal error?

It is a fresh install but it could also be my very proprietary system. I expected Windows to install if Ubuntu can install on it without a hitch. It could also be that Hard Drive.

ugh....I still can't get the last damn 1% of this file....it's at 99%, even says 3.15 of 3.15gb...but it wont finish!! I have tried to resume the download countless times, same thing, just says initiating...then sits there for a minute or so, then pauses itself. So then I tried some of the links here and one of ZD's from a hardware site worked...until the end when it said file could not be read :/

I really want this damn thing...any ideas?